As a crochet artist, I am constantly working with yarn and exploring different ways to use it. I’ve found that some of the cutest creations I make, don’t even involve a crochet hook.
This project is an easy introduction to working with yarn that will result in a fabulous and colorful keychain. If you want, you can even make a few and switch up your keychain to suit your mood. Let’s get started!
What You’ll Need
5 different colors of yarn
Making the Pom Pom
1. Take all of your yarn, and wrap it around your hand about 30 times. The more you wind, the fuller your pom pom will be.
2. Carefully slide the yarn off of your hand and stretch the center to keep the oval shape.
3. Tie a piece of yarn in a knot around the center.
4. Take your scissors and cut through the loops on both sides of the pom pom.
5. Now, give your pom pom a trim. Keep cutting until your pom pom is even and full!
Making the Tassel
6. This time, instead of wrapping the yarn around your hand, wrap it around your phone. (A piece of cardboard will also work, as long as it’s double the length of your desired tassel) Remember the more you wind, the fuller it will be.
7. Tie a 5 inch piece of yarn into a tight knot around the top of the looped thread. Then carefully slide the yarn off the phone.
8. Cut 4 pieces of yarn 5 inches long.
9. Tie each piece of yarn in a tight knot a few inches apart from each other.
10. Cut through the bottom loop and trim to desired length.
Connecting to the Keychain
11. Use your pliers to open up the jump ring and attach it to your lobster clasp.
12. Attach your pom pom and tassel to the jump ring and voilà! You have yourself a fun and fab keychain!
Thanks London! Follow our fave crochet artist on instagram, @madebylondon, or check out her website here.